The Garmin aera 550 from the Gamin 500 Series of GPS is a premium choice. The aera 550 has automotive maps, aviation database, Panel Page instrument display, and more. Wherever you fly or drive, you can count on the Garmin aera 550. To enhance situational awareness, the aera 550’s graphical Terrain page offers both overhead and vertical profile views of the topography you’re overflying.
Plus, a database-driven terrain advisory feature offers TAWS-like color coding and pop-up alerts when obstructions or ground proximity conflicts are projected to impact your flight path. There’s an IFR map mode that lets you navigate on high or low enroute airways. And for help with traffic separation, an optional power/data cable (sold separately) makes it easy to interface your aera 550 with the Garmin GTX 330 Mode S transponder in your aircraft, you can also use the aera to load communication frequencies into your Garmin SL 40 Comm or SL 30 Nav/Comm transceiver.
When it’s time to hangar the airplane and head for the open road, your Garmin aera 550 never misses a beat. It’s “dual boot” design enables full automotive GPS capability, graphically supported by preloaded City Navigator® NT street mapping. Operating much like Garmin’s popular nüvi® line of touchscreen auto navigators, the aera 550 offers voice-guided turn-by-turn directions with text-to-speech audio technology that calls out streets by name. In addition, there’s built-in Bluetooth® support for wireless hands-free calling with your compatible mobile phone.
Garmin Aera's Aviation Features
- Terrain/obstacle data shown in higher resolution 9 arc-second detail offering an enhanced level of information on the display.
- Price includes free aviation database updates for one year.
- Easy-to-use touch screen interface
- Bright 4.3” diagonal, color touch screen display; 480 x 272 pixels; WQVGA TFT display with white backlight
- Lithium-ion battery - lasts up to five hours, depending on usage and settings
- Flight Plans: 50 with up to 300 points each
- Flight log: At least 30 most recent flights
- Auto time zone – aera will automatically adjust your time zone while navigating
- High-sensitivity GPS receiver with WAAS position accuracy for improved performance and reception
- Simplified PC connectivity, using USB mass storage for easy data base updates
- Unit dimensions – 5.3”W x 3.3”H x 0.9”D
- Weight – 9.5 oz (270g)
- Rugged and waterproof (IPX-7)
- Interface with SL30 and SL40 for frequency tuning
Aera 550's In-car Features
- Preloaded street maps of Europe and North America
- Turn-by-turn directions with voice guidance - “Turn right on High Street”
- Bluetooth wireless technology– enabling hands-free calling
- Micro-SD™ card slot for optional mapping and data storage
- Trip computer records mileage, max speed, total time and more
- Garmin Connect™ Photos – associate your favorite images with saved locations and visit
- Garmin Connect at http://connect.garmin.com to download new images with included coordinates
- Built-in travel kit includes features such as picture viewer, world clock, currency and measurement converters and calculator
- The automotive software has premium features unique to this unit including lane assist with junction view, speed limit notification. (Customers would need to take out a separate traffic services subscription.)
Package includes: aera 550, yoke mount, automotive friction mount, vehicle power cable, battery, USB cable, pilots guide, quick start manuals, One year free aviation data base coupon, and carrying case.